Saturday, June 13, 2009

return of the superphone

the incredible end to my last post is that my phone arrived on wednesday and miraculously, it still works!! it doesn't even have any new battle scars. apparently it landed on a grassy cushion.
there has got to be a blackberry commercial in this story somewhere. the 8700g model is insanely durable. mine is over 3 years old and went unphased by a drop of over 50 feet whilst traveling 60 mph. during the time i was waiting for it to be mailed to me, i started shopping for my next phone - i was surprised to see that blackberry is still selling this model

but dang... this experience slapped me in the face with the annoying reality: how overly dependent i am on it. it literally is the first thing i touch every morning (use it for my alarm) and the last thing i touch at night. it is my only bank of phone numbers and addresses, i have never taken the time to back it up or sync it with my computer; not for any good reason, but because i just never got around to it. i use it for every reminder i need - either emailing myself at work, or setting a task alarm in it. it is my brain's backup

now i have decided that i will incorporate an another amazing technology into my cyberlife - it is called paper. i have to research more, but apparently there is a way to use a utensil and my hand to transfer shapes and squiggles onto the paper which resemble words and numbers. bizarre, i know...

No comments:

Post a Comment